Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Lieberman's Lesson

Josh Marshall's article this afternoon was right on target. Lieberman learned his lesson -- and I'm not talking about election results. I'm referring to Lieberman's explanation for his independent run and how it comes straight out of Bush playbook for the Global War On Terror.

The lesson has three steps. First, say that your values reflect those of the "mainstream voters." Second, insist that anyone who disagrees with you is "out of touch" and dangerous to the country. Third, repeat as necessary.

It's like a mini-version of the Iraq War or the War on Terror. You're either with Joe or you're with the extremists. Apparently half of Connecticut Democrats are outside the mainstream.

This is really the attitude that got poor Joe into this bind.

The mainstream is Joe Lieberman, along with possibly Sean Hannity and Bill Kristol. If you disagree with Joe Lieberman, a disagreement about policy is the least of it. It's a major existential crisis for the Democratic party which risks conquest by unreconstructed leftists, extremists and miscellaneous other freaks.

The idea that Ned Lamont is 'outside the mainstream' on any issue I'm aware of is laughable.

Marshall makes another good point. It's not as if Lieberman is merely saying that he's a competent senator who might be favored by 51% of Connecticut voters in a general election. He's attacking his own (former) party for not agreeing with him, and claims that he needs to run as an Independent to save the party from itself. After all, if Joe didn't believe he was the moral barometer of the Democratic party, I'm not sure what else he would have to do.

As a matter of civics, if Joe Lieberman wants to run as an independent, good for him. If 51% of Connecticut voters want to vote for him, that's democracy. As a Democrat, he should get out of the race now. And every Democrat should tell him to.

If he wants to run as an independent he should and could go to Connecticut voters and say, "A lot of people in my own party disagree with me on this or that issue. But I've served all of Connecticut's citizens for 18 years. And I still think I can be the best senator. So vote for me."

I wouldn't agree with that. But I could respect it.

But he's not. It's all about him and stabbing his own party in the back while he disingenuously pleads that he's trying to save it.


I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Josh Marshall's writing. Apparently he has an article in Time this week about the CT primary results. Good stuff.

Back to studying GI pathology...

No comments: