Friday, August 18, 2006

An Awkward Conversation

While studying this afternoon at a local cafe, I stood up from my table and walked to the service counter to get a beverage. While the server/employee was getting my drink, I glanced down at the copy of the Plain Dealer. When the person returned, she looked down at the paper and asked I'd heard about that crazy movie "with Samuel L. Jackson on the airplane."

Me: Snakes on a plane?

Cafe Server: Yeah, that one. Did you see this review?

Me: No, I didn't see the review, but I did see it at the theater last night.

**pause**

CS: Really?

Me: Yeah.

CS: How was it?

Me: Entertaining, but in that campy, B-movie style way. I mean, even the movie doens't take itself seriously.

CS: What is it about? I mean, is it like, terrorists on a plane? Is the title just a metaphor for terrorism?

**pause**

Me: Um, no, not at all. The plot, if you can call it that, is based on having hundreds of snakes -- you know, reptiles -- released on a passenger flight over the Pacific.

**pause**

CS: Why?

Me: Supposedly to kill a government witness who is going to testify against some mobster guy.

CS: And why exactly are they using the snake approach?

At this point, two other employees had walked out and were listening to the conversation. While I could have explained the entire plot in another 15 seconds, I offered just a few references to the newspaper review, picked up my drink, and tried to extract myself from the situation. Realizing that they couldn't exactly force the customer to keep talking, they continued the discussion amongst themselves. As I was walking back to my table, though, I heard one of them pick up the paper:

CS: "This review says, quote, 'It is a rare example of a film not just living up to the hype, but surpassing it. And it is the best time you will have at the movies all summer, if not all year.' I still don't know what it's about, but maybe that's part of the fun.

CS #2: "So you're going to see it?"

CS: "Yeah, probably. I just hope it's not too serious...this has been a long week, and I need something fun. Maybe this will do the trick."

Not too serious? I think she's in luck.

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

I guess there's a reason some people are just destined to serve coffee for a living .. very funny stuff .. as for me, I'm finally gonna see those motherf*king snakes on a plane tomorrow, and am really looking forward to it