Saturday, October 22, 2005

Studying as default?

I've noticed recently that studying is now my default behavior. Unless I have something else to do -- eating, sleeping, going to lecuture, etc. -- I will virtually always be studying. And somehow it seems normal. In the past, I had a difficult time imagining how medical students could really study so much...didn't it get old? Didn't they want to do anything else? Didn't they lose their minds?

As I've learned, the answer is "yes." But that doesn't mean I won't keep going. When virtually everyone you see is studying most fo the time, it somehow becomes a normal baseline activity. If someone asks what I'm doing this weekend, I will probably say, "Not much." If it's a med student who asks, they'll assume that means I'm studying all weekend. If someone else asks, they'll just think that I'm not very active.

As a side benefit, I seem to be able to repress most of my emotional issues when I'm studying. It doesn't do anything to resolve them, but at least I can ignore them for a while. Amen.

Back to anatomy. Only another few billion names to learn.

Mood: Calm
Song: Evanescence, "Listen to the Rain" and Garbage, "Only Happy When It Rains"

No comments: