Monday, February 09, 2004

Tonight, I read and re-read my cover letter, then emailed it to a potential employer. Then, as I closed the document file, I saw that I'd omitted a period. Oops. Gotta be more careful.

This was a good weekend, but I know that the next two weeks will be overwhelming. I'm out of town next weekend for a friend's wedding, and when I return from that trip I will have a half dozen papers/proposals/problem sets due. So between now and Thursday morning, I have to complete all my work for the next week and a half. Ugh.

I had about two dozen people over to my apartment on Saturday night for a potluck dinner and a party. And as usual, I went a little crazy on the food. My contributions included...
-- caribbean jerk chicken with couscous and fried shallots (one of my regulars)
-- pepper-encrusted seared yellowfin tuna with mango salsa (a good appetizer but $$$)
-- braised leeks with beurre blanc (the former were good, the latter still needs some work)
-- and poached pears with creme fraische and a Grand Marnier-brown sugar cream sauce (new recipe. yummmmm.)

I decided not to make homemade gnocchi, twice-baked potatoes, or a tarte tatin because I was running out of time. Oh well. I think the weekend's events satiated my desire to cook, though, at least for a while. And that's good, because cooking can be crazy expensive, at least it usually is with the right ingredients...

I had coffee with one of my friends from Hopkins today. It's nice that I've finally established some solid friendships among my classmates in the MHS-Policy program. I'm friendly with most of them and know quite a few of them very well, but I feel like I only recently passed the friendship threshold with a few of them. We still have 4 months, though, so hopefully this process will continue with the others. I realized tonight that I submitted my application for the program one year ago last week. Wow. Life has changed so much for the better since that time...

My posters also arrived this weekend, albeit not in time for the party. But now I'll finally have at least a few things on the walls. :-) While searching for the posters, I decided that I really liked Kandinsky, but the posters of his that I ordered turned out to be unavailable. Keep in mind, deciding that I like an artist is a big deal for me, at least compared to my impressive background knowledge of art -- since it's essentially nothing. I also really liked the Van Gogh museum, but everyone likes Van Gogh. Although for all I know, perhaps everyone likes Kandinsky.

My favorite piece that I ordered was a black & white photo of a fork and platter entitled "La Fourchette, 1928" by Andre Kertesz.

Plans for tomorrow? Get up, work, lunch, work, class, dinner, date, work, sleep.

Current mood: A little unsettled, although not sure why.
Current song: Michael Nyman, "The Promise" (from "The Piano" soundtrack)

No comments: