Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Me: "Hello, I'm here to get information on a student loan."

Office Manger, Bank of America: "Hello. I would be happy to give you some information, but we don't take care of loans here at the banking centers."

Me: "You don't have any loans?"

Bank: "We have loans, but not here. Don't you get loans through your school?"

Me: "Yes, the financial aid office will disburse the loan payment to my account, but I need to borrow the money from a bank. Your website says you have a variety of student loans, and that I should visit a banking center for more information. This is a banking center, correct?"

Bank: "Yes, this is a banking center."

Me: "But you can't help me with a loan? I'm just looking for a small private or TERI loan, or at least that's what the Bank of America website says would be the best loans for me. I already have the regular Stafford federal loans."

Bank: "Hmmmm. I don't know what those are. Maybe the best thing for you would be an unsecured loan, or maybe just to get a charge card and put your expenses on there."

Me: "The problem with that option is that I would still lack the money to pay off those credit card bills. And I don't think it would be a good idea to assume a lot of short-term high-interest debt if I can get a long-term, low-rate student loan. I'm not an expert, though...does that make any sense to you?"

Bank: "Hmmmmmm. Let me give you a phone number you can call about loans....."

No comments: