Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Well, that was an interesting six years in the Bay Area.

Back in Portland now. Numbers for the drive:
Hours: 10
Miles:667
Stops: 2
Maximum speed I reached when I believed I was only going 80: 97
Reasons why that speed was not dangerous at that time: 3 lanes, no traffic, long downhill stretch.
Subway sandwiches: 2
Caffeineated beverages: 4
Calls from friends: 3
Incidents when a state trooper pulled up behind me but it took me a while to move out of the way because I had so much stuff in the car that I couldn't see out the back: 1
Days since I got a full night's rest: 8

I wish I'd had a recorder in the car last night. So many thoughts to reflect on when there's nothing else to think about except the lack of good radio stations and the semis I kept passing on my right.

I changed my keychain yesterday. Removed the remaining Stanford keys, my Eating Clubs keycard thingie (why did I still have that on there? I have been out of Toyon for two years.), key to the volunteer office @ Stanford hospital, and other random Stanford keys whose use I've forgotten. I definitely have at least $50, probably more like $100, in key deposits at Stanford that I never redeemed. Oh well. Now I'm debating whether to remove the "bev-key" thing...it's not like I drink much, and it doesn't really help with wine bottles at all. Maybe it's time to start a new keychain entirely.

In a way, I sort of enjoyed the fact that I was rushed to leave Stanford yesterday. It made it easier on me, not having the time to reflect on the place and what it means to me.

Now I have to empty my car -- I wish I had a digital camera so I should show you how full it is. I couldn't see out the rear window, and at least half of the passenger window was blocked. Everything is full -- the trunk, the area under the seats, the area between the back seats and the rear window. Listening to the radio was slightly annoying last night because every speaker besides the one in the driver's door was blocked, so i didn't hear much with my right ear. You wouldn't think it was that big of a deal, but it had the effect of making me feel like my right ear was blocked, sort of like when the airplane cabin is pressurized and your hearing is thrown off a little bit.

Time to unload the car.

No comments: