Tuesday, February 25, 2003

I think I found a road bike. For those of you who don't know, I've been tackling the idea of buying a road bike for a triathlon in May. I don't want anything fancy -- I have no experience with road bikes whatsoever -- but I would really like to get started with road biking and feel this is my chance to do so. I found a discounted road bike (it's a model from two years ago) and the vendor is covering the sales tax. Now I just have to decide if I'm ready to make the commitment to the triathlon.


I had my second volunteer shift in the ER at SF General Hospital last Sunday night. I'm loving it so far, although the thrill may wear off when my body starts to reject the 11pm-5am schedule. Last week's Sunday shift was pretty slow, so I might try a shift on Friday night this week. I expect it to be pretty crazy! SFGH is the only Level 1 Trauma Center in Northern California, and the Emergency Department itself sees over 65,000 patients a year. Yes, I took that last line from the San Francisco General Hospital Foundation website.


Next item: what's wrong here? My friend pointed me to an amusing (and slightly scary) article this week. To quote Newsday:

"There was only one problem with President George W. Bush's claim Thursday that the nation's top economists forecast substantial economic growth if Congress passed the president's tax cut: The forecast with that conclusion doesn't exist. Bush and White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer went out of their way Thursday to cite a new survey by "Blue-Chip economists" that the economy would grow 3.3 percent this year if the president's tax cut proposal becomes law.

That was news to the editor who assembles the economic forecast. "I don't know what he was citing," said Randell E. Moore, editor of the monthly Blue Chip Economic Forecast, a newsletter that surveys 53 of the nation's top economists each month. "I was a little upset," said Moore, who said he complained to the White House. "It sounded like the Blue Chip Economic Forecast had endorsed the president's plan. That's simply not the case."


Oops!

No comments: