Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Reflection on 12 months in DC

I started this post about three weeks ago. "One month left in DC," I wrote. Now it's down to 10 days. And I'm still not ready to leave.

As I wrote in the first post...Now that I've told my coworkers, I can say it on here -- I'm moving to Cleveland, Ohio to start medical school at Case Western Reserve University (aka "Case").

The last month has been pretty complicated, to say the least. I'm making a major life transition so I've been reflecting on my DC experience as well as my entire East Coast experience over the last two years.

  • This year I've been frustrated with the people I know from Johns Hopkins; it seems like many of my friendships have deteriorated and that I'm not really in touch with that group of people anymore. I'm used to maintaining friendships pretty well, so I'm not thrilled by the fact that these don't seem to be lasting. I'm developing some good friendships with people at work, but the day after tomorrow is my last day on the job.

  • It's a cliche, but it's true -- I feel like I just got here. More specifically, I feel like I just got settled. After spending months on med school applications and now having much of life, I finally feel like I have a solid network of friends, a job I enjoy, and a city I understand relatively well. And now, of course, I have to leave.

  • Dating. After going on a respectable number of so-so dates, I seem to have finally figured things out in that regard. Or at least I've remembered how dating works. And now I get to leave and start anew.


I'm already planning to return to DC next summer to work on research for school. I'm expecting just a tiny bit of separation anxiety. Not a good sign!

(sigh) I'm sure I will look back in a month and laugh about how stressed I was about everything. I'm excited about school and am sure it will be a great experience, but for now I'm just sad to be leaving DC.

Mood: Nervous, excited, worries, a little overwhelmed.
Songs: Jason Mraz, "Wordplay" / Carbon Leaf, "What About Everything?" / Alabama, "I'm in a Hurry and Don't Know Why" / Coldplay, "Fix You"

No comments: