Thursday, June 26, 2003

I'm looking forward to my return to the ER this weekend. During my last shift, two weeks ago, I was permitted to watch my first surgery. A male patient, roughly my age, had been brought to the ER after being shot a half dozen times. He was transferred quickly to the OR and I watched from the back of the room as the surgeons began the procedure, probably about 12 feet from me. I watched for almost 4 hours, by which time it was nearly dawn -- and the surgeons still had hours of work ahead of them!

I've reached my minimum commitment requirement for the ER volunteer program -- 150 hours -- but I hope to get around 200 by the time I finish the program and move to Baltimore.

Speaking of Baltimore, I think I've found an apartment complex....now I just have to go through the process of actually securing an apartment! I'm also looking for a laptop for school next year...any suggestions?

No comments: