Sunday, September 28, 2003

I am not a fan of Super Fresh. It's my local supermarket, but they lack the fundmental competence to respond to a simple comsumer request: "Can I get change for a dollar?"

My cashier couldn't do it. I wasn't sure if that meant that she no no change available, which I doubt, or whether she just wasn't allowed to. So she sent me to customer service. The customer service woman, who is either a terribly unhappy women or just looks like it all the time, told me that she was not able to make change either. She, too, had a cash register but told me that the place to get change was "the podium." Apparently that's the word they use to incorrectly describe a small table at the front of the store where one of the managers sits. Or at least that is where they are supposed to sit; I walked over to it and waited for 10 minutes before a manager returned. When I asked for change, she gave me a perplexed look, as if she didn't speak english.

"No," she said.

"No, as in you can't make change for me, or no, as in nobody in this store is allowed to do so?"

"Huh?"

"I want to change this 5 dollar bill for a few dollar bills and a few quarters. I have already purchased food from your store, but apparently neither the cashier nor the customer service worker was capable of doing so. So," - pause, look for nametag - "Renee, can you help me out?"

Renee the Shift Manager thought for a moment, then walked over to a cashier and had a short conversation. "She'll take care of you," Renee blurted out as she hurriedly escaped my questioning.

A minute later, I handed my $5 to the cashier and said, "I just need a dollar or two in quarters." She took the bill, gathered money from the cash register, and handed the cahnge to me."

"Thanks."

I looked at what she had given me -- four 1 dollar bills, 5 dimes, and 2 quarters.

Ugh. I walked gave up and walked out of the store. 2 minutes later, Rite Aid had exchanged $4 in quarters. Finally!

If a competitor supermarket open up anywhere nearby, I am going to shop there like crazy.

No comments: