Monday, April 26, 2010

OB/Gyn

After TICU, my month on the OB/Gyn rotation was pretty relaxing. And that's saying a lot, considering that I truly hated my OB/Gyn clerkship as a medical student, and that I consider Gyn to be the area of medicine which I least understand.

I'm sure I got a bit of favorable treatment since Karen is an OB/Gyn resident. But I also tried to work hard and combat the unfortunate stereotype that rotating ER residents are always watching the clock.

Most of the attendings were great. During my first week on the delivery floor, I caught 10 newborns and got some excellent teaching from the private attendings. There were also a few occasions when things moved along faster than expected and there was an urgent call for "any doctor" to a delivery room. I arrived moments later, threw a pair of gloves on, and caught the kid before any of the attendings showed up. It made me feel like I was actually doing something useful.

Overall, good schedule, good conceptual learning, good procedural learning.

No comments: