Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Coming Up For Air

I'm back. For as long as it takes me to write this post. I'm in midst of my preparation time for the USMLE -- the United States Medical Licensing Exam -- and I frankly don't know how I'm going to keep studying. I finished class more than two weeks ago, and in that time I have been studying. All the time. I did take one quick trip to California for a full 48 hours, but other than that weekend I have been studying.

How much studying? I'm aiming for 12-14 hours/day. I usually get in about 9 to 10, maybe 11 if I'm really on top of things. The schedule is pretty simple:

8 am: Wake up
9am - 12pm: Study block 1
12pm - 3pm: Study block 2
3pm-4pm: Magical afternoon free time for errands, recovering my sanity, talking to myself, etc.
4pm-7pm: Study block 3
7pm-9pm: Eat, go to the gym, eat, sit around in a stupor.
9pm-12am: Study block 4
12am: Bed.

Now, let's be honest. Am I really following this schedule? No. But am I trying? Yes. Sort of. Keep in mind that it's 2am now and I'm just finishing for tonight. Eh, so it goes.

And this is what I aim to do between now and March 7th. On March 8th, I will do my best to relax. On March 9th, I take the exam. And the next morning, I'm on a flight to San Diego.

For now, though, it's time to sleep. Tomorrow's Study Block 1 is rapidly approaching, and neuroanatomy is on the schedule. Good times.

Mood: determination, mixed with a little cabin fever
Song: Boston, "More than a Feeling" and David Gray, "The One I Love"

2 comments:

Stan "the man" Zalesny said...

Keep up the great work. You've come this far- only a little further to go. You can do it.
Also born in Cleveland, Ohio. How do you study in all the cold. California saved my life. Just think San Diego in the sun when you finish the boards. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, B. We've all been there, and you too shall survive! It's a shitty, surreal time... but you will be through with it before you know it and you will be fantastic! It is doable and you will be great! And then you will be a big, bad 3rd year, woop! ;) Jackie.